How To Edit Or Permanently Remove Negative Keyword Lists
Did you know that on average, 41% of clicks go to the first three paid ads on the results page?
It’s crucial to spend your money on Adwords wisely and bid on the most lucrative terms for your business. The secret to cutting down on irrelevant traffic and reducing the wasted budget is learning how to use negative keywords to your benefit.
Luckily for you, we’ve put together a guide to editing and removing the negative keywords that no longer work for your campaign.
How Negative Keywords Work
It can be a learning curve when you first start using Adwords for your business. No one likes to log in to their account to see their money going towards ads that haven’t driven any revenue.
Using negative keywords in your Google AdWords campaigns allows you to control the results by selecting the words that trigger irrelevant traffic. By including the negative keywords into your campaigns, you can target your ads more specifically and improve conversions.
You are able to add up to 5000 negative keywords per list and each account can have up to 20 lists. You can then add those lists to multiple campaigns and edit the lists when needed.
FYI: Negative keywords work a little bit differently for display and video campaigns. Depending on the other keywords or targeting features in your ad group, some pages where your ad is seen may contain excluded terms. For these display and video ads, you’re allowed a maximum of 5,000 negative keywords.
Learn all about negative keyword research to improve your search terms.
Before You Start
You need to make sure that the negative keywords you want to remove are not used in any active Google AdWords campaigns. Once you have removed it from the campaign you will be able to permanently remove it.
How to Edit or Remove Negative Keywords
If you are using the Previous Google Ads experience:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns tab.
- Click Shared library link in the left navigation bar.
- Click Campaign negative keywords and then the name of the list that you’d like to modify.
- You’ll see your negative keyword list. You can:
- Click + Add to add a new keyword.
- Edit an existing keyword by selecting the checkbox next to it and clicking Edit.
- Remove an existing keyword by selecting the checkbox next to it and clicking Remove.
If you are using the New Google Ads experience:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon in the upper right corner of your account.
- Under the Shared library, click on Negative keyword lists.
- You can:
- Click on a list to edit it.
- Remove a list by checking the box next to it, selecting Edit, then Remove.
Give It a Go
PPC visitors are 50% more likely to buy than organic visitors, so making sure that you target the right people is vital for driving revenue. Adwords is a game of optimizing and tweaking your campaigns to find the winning search terms for your product.
Now that you know how to optimize your negative keywords, you should see the results start to accumulate.
Learn more about negative keywords here.